Monday, December 1, 2014

Minutes

Monday 11/24


9 minutes.

The amount of time between each alarm after inevitably snoozing my daily 5:30am wake up call. I don't even know why I try to get up this early when I know realistically, my day will start at 5:57am. I gulp down 12 ounces of the human form of octane 87, off brand drip coffee and I inhale my usual breakfast of eggs over easy. I then watch my breath flow to my frigid hands as I drive to the high school, making a mental note to buy gloves - but this will only remain in my head and become lost among the other countless thoughts of things I should do. I become anxious walking into the library where I have been for the past two months, knowing I will be doing monotonous work  and I feel seventeen again as I wait for the 2:25pm dismissal bell to ring.

Tuesday 11/25


27 minutes.

The amount of time it takes me to wake up and then repeat Monday.

Wednesday 11/26


1,560 minutes.

The amount of time between waking up at 9am and eating the meal I have been waiting for all week.

Thursday 11/27


420 minutes.

The amount of time between arriving at my parents house for the Thanksgiving meal and being back at my house, hungry once again. It's Thanksgiving. The day where men eat in their sweatpants and women dig for their maternity pants or borrow some. If there is any day to not be hungry, it's today. But yet, I sit here hungry.

________________________________________________________________________
Monday 11/24

390 minutes.

The amount of time I have to try and impact a person’s life while at my long-term substitute-teaching job at Volcano Vista High School. As the librarian, I have a great opportunity to remember a students name, ask someone how they are doing, and be ears and listen, to show students that adults do care about them.

Tuesday 11/25

390 minutes.

The amount of time I have to repeat Monday.

Wednesday 11/26

180 minutes.

The amount of time of extra sleep I get to have on this day and enjoy a day of rest.

Thursday 11/27

 420 minutes.

The amount of time I spent with family and friends while sharing a warm, home cooked meal. My mom went as far to bake two individual gluten-free pies for me, even though she understands I wouldn't mind not eating any but also knowing how much I used to love eating pecan pie. I had a second Thanksgiving meal with my sister-in-law’s family, as I do most years. I am thankful for being able to have not just one family to spend holidays with, but two. 

________________________________________________________________________


Dear friend,

Perception is reality.

Sometimes I see my days how I first described them. But when I take a step back and look at them from a different perspective, I see that there is so much to be thankful for and so much life to be found every day. We can look at a job as a means of income, giving time monetary value or as we go in life, impact those around us. Time's worth becomes more than an hourly wage. Maybe God has our paths cross certain people because He wants them to experience Jesus that day. If you’re a believer, you know that Jesus offers life and life to the full. I am thankful that God allows me to have the opportunity to show people Jesus every day, wherever I am in life, through my words and actions. We have reason to rejoice and be thankful in every situation. Sometimes we just have to adjust how we see things.

In His grip,

Josh


“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”


- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


No comments:

Post a Comment