Monday, January 12, 2015

the coolness of the mist

"Time is not just a commodity, it's your most valuable one."

I always enjoy December 31st. We always try to gather as many people as possible under one roof to bring in the New Year. Nothing complex, just a bunch of friends gathering around, taking part in great conversations. Soon enough people start reminiscing about the past year and chatting about resolutions for 2015.

The New Year always comes so fast. I started thinking about moments of 2014, memories where I wanted to remain, but time was persistent on not stopping. I want to share some of those memories with you.

Starting an epic road trip at 1am with two of New Mexico's finest gents, Noah Monagle and Felix Orpinel.

Watching Noah get kicked awake by security after falling asleep in Phoenix's Metro mall.

Walking beneath misters as we entered a Starbucks on a scorching Phoenix day in July.

Standing up in the sound booth watching hundreds of middle school kids start a relationship with Jesus.

Sitting in the Kimo Theater watching all our hard work be worth it as our short film was screened at the Albuquerque film festival.

Taking a selfie with Vince Harrison and the rest of the graduating class of 2014 after receiving our Bachelor degrees.

I could go on forever, but these are the first memories that pop into my mind as I write. These are the kinds of moments I remember, and going into 2015, I hope I can make similar ones. But for some reason, when I think of 2015 resolutions, my mind races in another direction. Every year, I seem to set goals to be more successful. I think of a number and say, "this is how much I will make this year." I want to pay off my student loan debt, if not all at least put a decent dent in it. I want my business to flourish. These are the kind of things that come to the forefront of my mind and yet, these kinds of goals aren't the moments I remember. I don't remember how much money it cost to volunteer a month at a summer camp, I remember the people I traveled with and the people I lived life with. I don't remember the amount of money I invested into the production of our short film but the feeling of seeing it finally finished and the relationships that came out of it. Looking back on graduation, I don't see how much student loan debt I'm in but the gratification of achieving a life milestone.

The money I invested in my short film, my travels, and my degree is a commodity I will get back. The time invested, I will not.

A great man once told me time is your most valuable commodity. It made me look at time from a new perspective. The things we value are the things we invest the most time in. I say I love people but how much time do I spend with people? How many times do I say I will be somewhere and I don't show up? How many times do I show up late to a meeting? When I don't show up where I say I will be, my actions say being there for you isn't worth my limited time. Showing up late to a meeting says your limited time isn't worth mine.

I want to refocus my resolutions for 2015 to reflect time being my most valuable commodity.

I want to show up early every meeting.

I want to spend my time growing relationships and starting new ones. 

I want to see time as a limited commodity.

I want to live my life in the moments I won't get back.


Walking under the mist on that hot Phoenix day was a moment that felt so good. I almost let the Phoenix summer weather blind me to how refreshing the heavenly haze of H20 felt raining down on me, and I think life can be like that sometimes. We focus so much on the blazing heat of life, knowing when we leave the mist, the heat will return. We forget to acknowledge the finite moments we are in and to take in the coolness of the mist.


In His grip,

Josh

"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

James 4:14

No comments:

Post a Comment